Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology by Gerard Loughlin PDF
By Gerard Loughlin
- Discusses a variety of motion pictures, together with the Alien quartet, Christopher Nolan’s souvenir, Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: an area Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, Nicolas Roeg’s the fellow Who Fell to Earth and Derek Jarman’s The Garden.
- Draws on a variety of authors, either historic and glossy, spiritual and secular, from Plato to Levinas, from Karl Barth and Hans Urs von Balthasar to André Bazin and Leo Bersani.
- Uses cinema to consider the church as an ecclesiacinema, and flicks to contemplate sexual hope as erotic dispossession, as a fashion into the lifetime of God.
- Written from a significantly orthodox Christian standpoint, immediately either Catholic and critical.
Read or Download Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) PDF
Similar film & video art books
In A historical past of yank videos: A Film-by-Film examine the artwork, Craft and company of Cinema, Paul Monaco offers a survey of the narrative characteristic movie from the Twenties to the current. The booklet makes a speciality of a hundred and seventy of the main very popular and well-known function movies chosen by means of the Hollywood institution: every one Oscar winner for most sensible photo, in addition to these voted the best by means of contributors of the yank movie Institute.
A significant other to German Cinema bargains a wide-ranging number of essays demonstrating state-of-play scholarship on German cinema at a time within which cinema stories in addition to German cinema have once more all started to flourish. bargains a cautious blend of theoretical rigor, conceptual accessibility, and highbrow inclusiveness comprises essays by means of famous writers in addition to up-and-coming students who take cutting edge severe methods to either popular and emergent parts within the box, specially concerning race, gender, sexuality, and (trans)nationalism unique for its modern relevance, reorienting the sphere to the worldwide twenty-first century Fills severe gaps within the extant scholarship, establishing the sector onto new terrains of severe engagement
From a workforce of pro, best horror specialists, lead via uber-critic Kim Newman, carve their manner via a century of worry with authority, humour and encyclopaedic wisdom. Packed photographs of the main terrifying scenes in cinema heritage, this exact, definitive, complete advisor lines the tale of horror, decade-by-decade, and offers a witty and informative critique of over three hundred movies from around the world.
The vintage movie sequence highlights videos from the previous, forgotten, neglected and adored alike, chosen for his or her impact, relevance and price. during this version, author, musician and filmmaker Chris Wade appears at movies that have been unfortunately sidelined during the last 20 years. either motion pictures have been published within the comparable 12 months, and either starred Madonna in thoroughly opposing situations and roles.
- Sacred and the Cinema: Reconfiguring the 'Genuinely' Religious Film
- Personal Views: Explorations in Film (Contemporary Approaches to Film and Media Series)
- Good Guys, Bad Guys, and Sidekicks in Western Movies: From the 1930's Through the 1960's
- Introduction to Film
- Now Playing: Early Moviegoing and the Regulation of Fun (SUNY series, Horizons of Cinema)
Additional resources for Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology)
Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) by Gerard Loughlin